(720) 295-9028 jdporter@jdporterlaw.com


Colorado and Denver Traffic Infractions

Traffic infraction is the default classifications for traffic violations under the Model Traffic Code. The Model Traffic Code defines any violation of the code as a traffic infraction unless the code or other law provides otherwise. Examples of traffic infractions include driving an unsafe vehicle on the road, disobeying a traffic signal, and speeding less than 25 miles per hour over the speed limit.

The Model Traffic Code breaks down traffic infractions into Class A and Class B traffic infractions. Class A infractions are the more serious variety and can result in fines and points added to your license. The number of points that can be added to your license is codified in C.R.S. ยง 42-2-127. Examples of Class A infractions include speeding less than 25 miles per hour over the speed limit, improperly using a car pool lane, following too closely, and disobeying a traffic signal.

In contrast to Class A infractions, Class B infractions are less serious and, while they may result in a fine, it does not result in points being added to your license. Examples of Class B infractions include altering, defacing, or otherwise interfering with a traffic signal; operating a motor vehicle without wearing a seatbelt or without any front seat passengers wearing a seatbelt; or having defective brake lights.

Traffic infractions are considered a civil matter and, accordingly, have no threat of potential jail time. If a ticket for a traffic infraction is received, typically it will be in municipal court and you will go before a municipal judge. Alternative options include going in front of a county court magistrate, which is essentially a judge with limited powers, or, if the ticket allows, to mail in payment to resolve the fine.

Disclaimer: The information on this website is intended to be general information only and not legal advice. Laws change frequently and the information on this website may not be up to date, nor is the information intended to be fully comprehensive. For legal advice specific to your case please contact J.D. Porter, LLC or another licensed attorney.